Friday, October 3, 2008

My Favourite Coen Brother's Movie.


There is hope... I'm always one for lining myself up against other people in terms of what they have achieved at a certin age! It's a bad thing to do, I know, but I can't help it... I'm 31, and although not old by anymeans, I did think I'd have a lot more done by now. You look at Robert Robregiuz, did El Mariachi at 23 or something, Speilberg did Jaws at 27 or there abouts! (and he'd all ready been in the business 8 years) It worries me...

But then I get to the Coens, my favourite filmmakers and I realise that they were 34 and yes 31 when they made Blood Simple and I breathe a sigh of relief and think 'Well, if they can do it...' and then I look forward to having a career that contains films like Rasing Arizona, Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou... and yes, I would happily but my hand up to the lesser The Man Who Wasn't There, Intolerable Cruelty and, -swallow- The Ladykillers... if it meant at the end of the dark years I came out with No Country For Old Men.

Just imagine being responsible for that list of films... staggering. 

My favourite? Wow! they all have so much. But my desert Island Coen Brother's movie would have to be Miller's Crossing... no wait... The Big Lebowski... no, hold on... No Country For Old Men... then again, O Brother Where Art Thou was brilliant, soggy bottom boys Hah!... Fargo... Blood Simple, one of the best low budget crime thrillers from deput filmmakers ever made... dammit!

No comments: