Friday, November 28, 2008

Drogheda as a Location

I’ve shot two short films here, and honestly, I think Drogheda is a great location and a very cinematic town. 

I remember when we were finishing Emily’s Song in Screen Scene, the guy doing the blobbing (digitally removing blobs and scratches etc.) was from Drogheda. He had spent a full day starring at the screen and he didn’t realise it was Drogheda until we said so! We just did extensive location scouting a picked great place, right near the centre of town.

I love the derilict sites around town, the places I played as a kid. I’ve been photographing them recently, as you'll see from my Celluloid Journey blog I have an exhibition of that work coming up, and I always like to shoot there because one because these places play such a significant role in my life, I believe they were instrumental in building my imagination and two because now, unfortunately, they’re being leveled.

I guess it’s a good thing, it’s great to see places being regenerated and jobs created, but the child in me is very sad to see the playgrounds of my youth disappear. I’m happy to say I captured many places in my two films, so even if they’re not there in real life, they are somewhere forever.

The next two shorts I have planned will be shot here. And I would imagine my first feature will be too... and hopefully many more  there after.

No comments: